Summertime is an amazing time of the year! Pool days, beach trips, picnics, and fireworks all characterize what summer is all about. A huge component of summertime is the sun- it’s what wakes us up and encourages us to get outdoors during this fun season! As important as sunlight is in promoting a positive, balanced mood and making you feel great, you also must be careful to protect yourself from the harmful effects of too much sun! Here are some tips to help keep you happy and healthy all summer long:
- Wear sunscreen! This seems super simple, but sunscreen is very important in keeping your skin protected from a harmful sunburn! Sunblock lotions and spf levels can be hard to understand, so check out this sunscreen guide to make sure you’re fully protected.
- Limit your time outdoors. If you can stay indoors between the hours of 10:00am and 4:00pm, you’re already on your way to keeping yourself safe from the heat and sun this summer. The sun is its most intense and powerful during that four-hour time frame.
- Wear tightly woven, loose clothing and a hat. To test if your clothing is tightly woven, place your hand underneath the fabric. If you can see your hand, you should probably choose something else to wear since that garment will not likely protect you from the sun. A hat is also a great way to keep the sun off of your face!
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Again, it seems really simple, but keeping yourself hydrated while spending time outside is crucial! Particularly if you are at an outdoor event or party and are consuming alcohol, make sure you drink several glasses of water too!
- Stick to exercising in the morning or evening. It is best to work out before and after that 10:00am-4:00pm timeframe since the heat will be the most intense during this time!
- Take a cool shower. A cool shower can reduce your body temperature and refresh you quickly! If you can’t take a shower, moisten a washcloth with cool water and place on the back of your neck, wrists, and forehead.
We hope these tips help you stay cool this summer. If you don’t have to be outdoors, chill out in your new home near the Triangle! We have many available new homes to suit you and your family!